Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A big part of our trip was visiting orphanages and the Gladney Care Centers to spread Christmas cheer. I do not exaggerate by calling these visits life altering. Neither David nor I had been to orphanages and we really did not know what to expect.

What we received was warmth, love and inspiration from the children we met. Many would grab our hands and hug us. They were so openly loving and kind that we were really blown away by them. Both David and I agreed that it was a real honor to meet these kids. We will never, ever forget them.

Our first trip was to an older boy orphanage. The kids were just in love with everything Obama! Apparently, Obama's books have been translated into Amaharic and read over the radio. The kids knew everything about him. They also saved up money to buy posters for their walls (along side the posters of Beyonce, who they are also quite fond of).

The paintings above and below were done by one of our friends at the boys orphanage. The mural was his first try at painting. Someone just donated the canvas to him and he was finishing this picture of Mary and Jesus.

He wanted to give us this painting. We told him he needed to finish it and maybe sell it if he wanted to. We could not believe how good they were, particularly considering this kid has no training and barely any supplies. I am not sure he really comprehended what an accomplishment it was to paint this way.

He is 16 years old and has only known orphanages, but yet, he has such a capacity to give and to love. He, among many others, really touched us deeply.





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is a really good painting. I bet he doesn't realize what a talent he has!!!

    I love the picture you sent us on the way they celebrated Christmas.Also, I love the idea of sending a picture next time too. I'm going to have to do that! :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete